Calendar of Events: 2013-2014
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10th – Note Date Change
- FIBERS – USING AND CARING FOR YOUR STASH Tonight’s featured speaker is Sue Ann Pascarella, a local knitter, weaver, and fiber expert who will teach us about various fibers for knitting. Sue Ann will discuss many common and uncommon fibers and lead a discussion and answer questions on which fibers work best for different knitted garments, blocking techniques for various types of fibers, and caring for all the garments you’ve knitted. Start the new knitting season off right with this excellent yarn primer!
- HARUNI SHAWL DISPLAY
- Be ready to show off your completed, and uncompleted, shawls from the Guild’s summer KAL. Please bring an index card that details the yarn you used, yardage, and any tips for knitting this shawl.
- MY YEAR IN SOCKS
- From March 1, 2012 to February 28, 2013, The Guild’s resident sock expert Sharon Gerstman, made 23 pairs of socks — 23 pairs of complicated socks — many of these competed in Sock Madness and Tour de Sock. The madness of knitting socks continues as Sharon competed in Sock Madness 2013 and Tour de Sock starting on June 1, 2013. Come hear and see all about Sharon’s year in socks!
OCTOBER 12TH & 13TH
KNITTING GUILD OF GREATER BUFFALO
FALL SEMINAR – October 12-13, 2013
RAMADA INN – 2402 NORTH FOREST ROAD, AMHERST 14226
We are very excited to have J.C. Briar teaching our Fall Seminar. J.C. is a fabulous teacher. She is the author of “Charts Made Simple,” and is included in all of the most prestigious Knitting Weekends like Madrona and Sock Summit. Each of her 3 hours classes sells for $75 or more at knitting conventions, and always sells out. The cost for guild members is $35 per class ($40 for non-guild members). This is a terrific chance to advance your knitting skills and meet a knitting superstar! More info Seminars.
- VENDOR NIGHT
- Vendors from across Western New York and Pennsylvania will sell their unique yarns, fibers and knitting related gift items. Guests are encouraged and invited to attend. There will be plenty of items for knitters and non –knitters alike, great holiday gift items and much, much more… Get a start on, or maybe finish, your holiday shopping tonight! Vendors will accept cash and checks, some will accept credit card. Support our outstanding vendors who are traveling great distances to be with us tonight.
** No refreshments needed tonight as refreshments will not be served. ***
DECEMBER 5TH – Members only meeting
- SOCK YARN SHOW OFF Besides the Haruni Shawl, members were encouraged to knit something out of sock yarn over the past summer. Bring your completed project in tonight for a show and tell display. A panel of judges will award prizes.
- HOLIDAY POTLUCK DINNER Please bring a salad, side dish or desert as per the assigned instructions. The Guild will provide the main course.
**Instructors are needed to teach in February and March. Our Programming Dept. needs to know by tonight’s meeting if you can teach a class. Please contact Gina and/or GG. Share your expertise and knowledge with other Guild members! JANUARY 9TH (Note: This is the 2nd Thursday of the month**)
- ORGANIZING YOUR STASH Guild member Luann Blair has a unique system for organizing your stash so you can actually find your yarn and use it up! Luann will teach us her strategy tonight and get us organized for the New Year. Bring a laptop or computer tablet.
- SIGN UPS FOR MARCH CLASSES Sign up tonight to take one of the Knitting with Beads classes being taught by members in March. Class size is limited so be sure to attend tonight so you get the class you want.
- SPEED KNITTING
Knitters will have a chance to learn various techniques and tricks that they can add to their knitting repertoire. Like speed dating, we will be moving from station to station to learn new ways of perfecting our favorite pieces. Presented by: Members
** If you have a technique you would like to share we are always open to new ideas and we would love to have as many teachers as possible. Please contact Gina and/or GG as soon as possible as instructors need to be established by the December meeting ***
- KNITTING WITH BEADS
Jazz up your knitting by incorporating beads and other embellishments to purses, home décor and other accessories. Classes will be taught by members and class size is limited to 10 participants. Presented by: Members
** We would love to have as many teachers as possible. Please contact Gina and/or GG as soon as possible as instructors need to be established by the December meeting ***
- I-CORD PRIMER Susan Sarabasha from the Spinning Bunny is back to teach us how to make I-Cords and incorporate them into our knitting. Susan will also teach and demonstrate a special and unique I-Cord that she invented! The Spinning Bunny Shop will also be open early from 6-7pm for your shopping needs.
Presented by : Susan Sarabasha, Susan’s Spinning Bunny
MAY 1st — Members only event
- AUCTION Always one of the most popular events on the Knitting Guild’s calendar of events. Start saving your pennies now so you can bid high for the yarn you desire.
- LAST MEETING President’s ice cream party – always a hit – start the summer off right and bid adieu to another knitting season your favorite, cool treat.
- SHOW AND TELL Show off the one favorite project you completed this Guild season in the end of the year fashion show. Members, please plan to model the one item you are showing off!